Committee on Education Outreach
Mission and Goals
Also known as the student outreach committee, the CEO strives to harness all available resources for cultivating future leaders in dam safety engineering by:
1. Developing programs for pre-college students, college students and engineering educators that highlight and encourage career opportunities in dam engineering.
2. Working with college and university departments to promote higher education programs, at undergraduate and graduate levels, that increase the number of engineers with training and interest in all aspects of dam engineering and dam safety.
3. Promoting and coordinating activities that increase public awareness of the importance of dams in the US, especially among pre-college and college students and with engineering faculty.
4. Working to increase national support of students and faculty engaged in dam safety research.
Full Mission Statement
1. ASDSO Speakers Bureau - ASDSO volunteer speakers are available for classes and student groups throughout the US. ASDSO has developed presentations for students of all ages.
2. Student Paper Competition - Begun in 2009, the annual competition is held in conjunction with ASDSO's national conference.
3. Promotion of Student Attendance at ASDSO Events - The CEO hosts a student lounge at the ASDSO annual conference. Students with valid university IDs are admitted free of charge to ASDSO conferences.
3. Promotion of Dam Engineering Internship and Co-ops - The CEO assists students seeking dam safety internships by listing student positions in ASDSO's online Career Center at no cost to employers and posting resumes of students and recent graduates.
4. Assistance with Capstone Course Development - CEO volunteers are available to assist university faculty with project idenfication, course content, and speakers.
5. Promotion of the ASDSO Undergraduate Scholarship - The CEO works with the ASDSO Scholarship Committee to publicize ASDSO's scholarship program.
6. "Student/Faculty" and "Kids" Web pages - ASDSO's Student/Faculty pages include details on opportunities available through ASDSO, while the Kids' pages feature information and activities for the younger set.
Peter Nicholson, Co-Chair
University of Hawaii Dept of Civil Engineering
Vinoth Muthia, Co-Chair
O'Brien & Gere, East Norriton, PA
Nicholas Agnoli, FERC, NYC
Jeff Bertel, Reitz & Jens, Inc., St. Louis, MO
Erin Gleason, AECOM, Denver, CO
Garrett Jackson, Colorado Division of Water Resources, Grand Junction, CO
Dan Johnson, Tetra Tech, Golden, CO
Marty McCann, Stanford University Dept. of Civil & Environmental Engineering
Arthur Miller, Professor Emeritus, Penn State; AECOM
Deb Miller, Miller Geotechnical Consultants, Inc., Fort Collins, CO
John Moyle, NJ DEP Dam Safety Section
Keith Thole, US Army Corps of Engineers, St. Louis Dist.
Bruce Tschantz, Professor Emeritus, University of Tennessee
Sarah McCubbin-Cain, ASDSO Staff Liaison
859-550-2788, ext. 3