ASDSO's 2013 Priority Legislative Issues
1. Reauthorization and appropriations for the National Dam Safety Program (P.L 109-460). Program expired in September 2011.
2. Appropriations to continue the success of the USDA Small Watershed Dam Rehabilitation Program.
3. Appropriations for updating and maintaining the Army Corps of Engineers' National Inventory of Dams Program.
4. Passage of a National Dam Rehabilitation and Repair Act.
5. Creation of a state dam safety regulatory program in Alabama (the one state remaining with no dam safety legislation on the books).
6. Strengthening of dam safety laws in all states.
7. Support for a National Levee Safety Program.
For information on current legislation, see http://thomas.loc.gov.
What Can You Do!
1. Contact Your state and federal legislators.
2. Write the Media--Use the talking points available here to keep your local media informed of dam safety issues.
3. Spread the Word--Tell a friend to take action, too.
Partners Increase Support for Dam Safety
Partnering with other organizations allows for a stronger voice in Washington. ASDSO is partnering with the American Society of Civil Engineers and its Government Relations office in Washington, DC. Spearheaded by ASCE, the Water Resources Coalition will lead the way toward getting a National Dam Rehabilitation Program underway. Other partner organizations include the National Watershed Coalition. ASDSO sits on NWC's steering committee and works to increase awareness about the need for rehabilitation of this nation’s 10,000 small watershed protection and flood control dams.