Dam Safety 2014 - September 21-25, 2014
San Diego Convention Center, San Diego, CA
Dam Safety 2014 is one of the leading conferences in the United States dedicated to dam safety engineering and technology transfer. The 2014 conference in San Diego drew 850 attendees from all over the U.S., and several other countries including Brazil, Canada, China, Columbia, France, Germany, Greece, Italy, Korea, New Zealand, and Thailand.
• Keynote presentations on An Overview of California's Water Supply System and Improving Water Reliability and From Response to Recovery: the Story of the 2013 Colorado Floods
• A surprise opening session address by Congressman Bill Shuster
• Three "Soapbox Sessions": Risk in the Regulatory Environment, Bigger Questions Arising from the Big Bay Dam Failure, and Conveying Lessons Learned from Dam Incidents and Failures
• Best Poster Contest Winner: Rehabilitation of Thorn Run Dam, by James R. James, P.E., and Tyson R. Clouser, P.E.
More than 90 technical papers are available on the Dam Safety '14 Proceedings CD.
Congratulations to the following individuals and organizations that were selected as ASDSO's 2014 award winners.
• National Rehabilitation Project of the Year: Tarrant Regional Water District and Parsons Brinckerhoff, Inc. for the rehabilitation of Eagle Mountain Lake Spillway Dam, Fort Worth, Texas
• National Award of Merit: Colorado Department of Natural Resources Division of Water Resources
• The Terry L. Hampton Medal: Dr. Ed Tomlinson, Applied Weather Associates, Monument, Colorado
Regional Awards of Merit
• Northeast Region: Indian Lake Borough, Pennsylvania
• Southeast Region: Georgia Soil and Water Conservation Commission
• Midwest Region: Missouri Department of Natural Resources, Water Resources Center
• West Region: Oklahoma Conservation Commission
2014-2015 Senior Undergraduate Scholarship
• Emily Keck, Rowan University
• Jamie Bond, Oregon Institute of Technology
Student Paper Awards
• Daniel VandenBerge, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, Multi-stage Rapid Drawdown Analysis using the Finite Element Method. Coauthor: Thomas L. Brandon
• Beena Ajmera, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, Effect of Mineralogy on the Post-Earthquake Shear Strength of Clay-Like Materials. Coauthors: Thomas L. Brandon and Binod Tiwari.
• Laura Ferre, University of Colorado-Denver, Potentials for use of Social Vulnerability Assessments to Aid Decision Making for the Colorado Dam Safety Branch. Co-authors: Bill McCormick and Debora Thomas.
• Editorial Excellence, The Journal of Dam Safety: Former Chief Editor Keith Ferguson, HDR Engineering, Inc., Denver, CO
• President's Award: Paul Schweiger, Gannett Fleming, Inc., Camp Hill, PA
Conference photos are posted on the Dam Safety 2014 Album of ASDSO's Facebook page.