Dam Safety 2016 Recap
ASDSO's 33rd annual national conference was held September 11-15, 2016 at the Pennsylvania Convention Center in Philadelphia. The conference drew approximately 900 attendees and guests from all 50 states, Washington, DC and Puerto Rico, plus international attendees from Canada, the United Kingdom, Thailand, Sweden, New Zealand, Korea, France, China, and Brazil.
Attendees benefited from a host of educational and networking opportunities, including a powerful keynote presentation by Bruce Muller (right) of the Bureau of Reclamation: Remembering the Teton Dam Failure and the Launch of Modern Dam Safety Policy.
Dusty Myers, Chief of the Dam Safety Division of the Mississippi Department of Environmental Quality, was voted in as ASDSO president for 2016-2017. Completing the roster of ASDSO officers for the coming year are President-Elect Jonathan Garton (IA), Treasurer Roger P. Adams (PA), Secretary Hal Van Aller (MD), and immediate Past President Jim Pawloski (MI).
ASDSO's 2016 award winners were recognized during the Awards Luncheon held Monday, September 12. Click here for photos and profiles of the following award winners:
- Colorado Parks & Wildlife - National Rehabilitation Project of the Year: Beaver Park Dam
- Bruce Tschantz and Ron Corso - National Award of Merit
- Suez Water, New Jersey and Springfield Water and Sewer Commission, Massachusetts - Northeast Regional Award of Merit
- Lyle Bentley, Tennessee Dam Safety Program - Southeast Regional Award of Merit
- Ohio DNR Division of Engineering - Midwest Regional Award of Merit
- John Clark, Colorado Parks & Wildlife, and Michele Lemieux, Montana Dam Safety Section - West Regional Award of Merit
- Blake Tullis, Utah State University - Terry Hampton Medal
- Emily Reed, Tennessee Tech, and Yi Tyan Tsai, UCLA - Student Paper Competition
- Cali McMurtrey, Brigham Young University - ASDSO Memorial Undergraduate Scholarship
- Mark Baker, National Park Service, and Lucas Trumble, Michigan Department of Environmental Quality - President's Award